Welcome to the Blog
This is the first in a regular posting of short blogs, case studies or articles on this site. The aim is to educate and inform readers of the benefits of mediation and to provide updates on any developments in the field of mediation.
Once I manage to explain to people the benefits of mediation in terms of more effective use of time and resources, saving money, reducing stress and re-establishing effective working relationships; I still frequently get asked , “ but does it work ?”
The eighth Mediation Audit conducted by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution provides strong evidence to suggest that mediation is a highly effective means of resolving disputes. The focus of the report is on Civil and Commercial Mediation.
- There were around 12,000 mediations in the U.K. in the last year ( up 20 % from 2016) .
- The success rate of mediation was 89% with 74% settling on the day.
- 83% of mediators were categorised as performing quite well or very well by lawyers representing participants in mediation .
- The value of mediated cases after removing “mega-cases” was £11.8 billion in the last year in the U.K.
- Using mediation for quick resolution is expected to save British businesses £3 billion each year in wasted management time, damaged relationships, lost productivity and legal fees
- Lawyers reported 45% of cases were settled by mediation in the last 12 months, the next highest method being a negotiated settlement before issuing court proceedings at 24%.Settled at trial was 4%.
Mediation is therefore an increasingly popular and cost-effective way for businesses, organisations or individuals to resolve disputes. If you would like to discuss the possibility of mediation for you or your company/organisation, please get in touch using the contact details below.
Director of ABM and registered mediator ( Civil Mediation Council)